Our stainless steel hose is silicone-lined, and made using durable double-lock construction to provide years of showering comfort. Available in 4 ft or 5 ft lengths.
Most hand-held shower hoses are lined with flexible plastic; Omica uses a food-grade silicone liner in theirs. Not only does plastic affect the memory of the water, but all plastics are petroleum-based, and they all outgas. In order to make plastics pliable, chemicals such as phthalates are added during manufacturing. These chemicals aren’t bonded but just mixed in, which allows all plastics to leach at some level, in a process called “outgassing.”
Outgassing is defined as “the release of a gas that was dissolved, trapped, frozen, absorbed, or adsorbed in some material.” For example, new car smell consists of outgassed chemicals released by heat in a closed automobile. That smell is the poisonous volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that evaporate into the air at room temperature.
Outgassing is a particular problem in submarines, planes, and spacecraft because the VOCs are confined to a small area. Even smaller is a normal shower stall and bathroom. Add this to the fact that high humidity and temperature speed up and intensify the outgassing effect, and you can see why avoiding plastics in shower components is so important.
Some hand-held shower tubing contains a PVC lining rather than plastic, which is even worse. While plastics will eventually stop leaching chemicals, PVC will leach throughout its entire lifetime. PVC is also the only common plastic that contains chlorine, listed by the US Federal government as an “extremely hazardous substance.” Vinyl chloride, the building block of PVC, is listed as a carcinogen by the US government’s National Toxicology Program.
Silicone is the safest option, which is why we use silicone to line our shower tubing, and the reason we provide silicone washers with all of our components.
- Stainless steel with food-grade silicone lining
- Durable double-lock interlocking construction
- Stainless steel finish
- Choose 4 ft or 5 ft length
- Easy installation
- Connects with the other components of the Omica hand-held shower system
- Includes silicone washers
- When not in use, hangs conveniently on the Omica Wall Mount
- For educational purposes only. The statements made on this website have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration, and are not intended to be relied upon as medical advice. This product and information are not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure any disease, and may not apply to you. Results may vary. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking other medications, or have a serious condition, we suggest consulting with a physician or other appropriate medical professional before using any dietary supplements or following the information provided on this site.